CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

One Big Year

I find that I always have such ambivalent feelings on my kids' birthdays. On one hand, I can't wait to be done nursing, waking up at all hours of the night, and trying to get a baby to drink a bottle. On the other hand, I don't want my baby to grow up so fast! It hardly seems like she can be one. She is still such a tiny little thing that I can treat her like a baby.She is most likely the last, and it makes me a little sad to have her already be one-year old! However, she is so cute and so fun! Despite her own stubborn little habits, she really is a great baby. She plays great by herself, she loves to go in the car and run errands, she naps well. She loves ducks and books. We swear she says, "Read it," when she brings us a book and crawls up to our laps. She will sit as long as we will read. She can say, "Duck," and quack like one too. (Hence the duck birthday cake.) She also loves Anna and Thys. They are the center of her world. (Okay, let's be honest, I am the center of her world--but Papa and the kids come next.) Soph loves to be carried, but always makes sure her little arm and elbow keep her from getting pulled in too closely. She doesn't want to miss anything that is going on. We love this sweet little girl and are so grateful to have such a healthy, happy, and cute little person in our family!Sophie loves her books--especially ones with touchy textures and flaps. As soon as this new birthday book was out of the bag, she was headed for Papa's lap to read.
Soph has been carrying around an old dirty doll of Anna's, so we got her her own for her birthday gift. I took her to the store with me to get it because I wasn't sure she would really go for it, but when I put it in front of her at the store, she giggled and gooed and kissed the box. Done deal. She was absolutely delighted again today--nothing likes squeals of joy from a baby to make you happy!
Birthday pics.

We felt like we had to "do" something for Soph's birthday. We went swimming during Christmas break, and she loved it, except I couldn't let her be where she wanted to be because I had to watch the other kids. We decided if Mel and I both went, Soph could play where she wanted to. I think she had a fun time, but the water was a bit cold, so she didn't last too long--thank goodness.



And then we came home for spaghetti (one of Soph's favorite foods) and cake. She definitely loved the ducks on the cake much more than the cake.
Happy Birthday, baby Sophie!

4 comments:

de kollumers said...

Volgens Bupa moet Stacey als ze niet meer werkt boeken gaan schrijven.We genieten van haar schrijven maar ook van de geweldige leuke foto,s van de kinderen en de jarige Sophie.Wat worden ze toch alle drie groot.Baby Sophie is al geen kleine baby meer he? Maar wat een heerlijk kindje is ze geworden zeg!Het gaat veel te snel.Liefs Bupa en Mimi.

courtney said...

sophie is so cute! I can't believe she is one! that makes me sad because my little baby isn't too far behind.

i'm having fun catching up on your posts. :)

Linde said...

Wow! I can't believe she is a year old. Amazing how fast it goes. I know what you mean about wanting certain things to be done, but that also means they are growing up...My baby is almost 2! She is so cute!!!

Melissa said...

Hi Stace! Yes, I snoop on here through Lindsey's blog, but since I'm new to the blogging world, I feel like I am still learning the ropes of blogger etiquette. I can't believe Sophie is one already. She is adorable. I love the she loved and kissed the dolly in the store. So cute. I love seeing all of the pics. Hopefully we'll have some from Holland soon!