CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Girls Camp

One of the lovely joys of being in Young Women is Girls Camp.  To be honest with you, I was not really excited, but once I got to camp, I had a blast.  We have great girls and leaders, and our camp leaders were amazing!  They did everything, and the rest of us just enjoyed.  We went up to the Yates family cabin somewhere in the middle of I don't know where.  It was the perfect mix of roughing it and being comfortable. 



We did have a couple of "highlights" during the week.  Anj and I volunteered to go on the "overnighter" with the 4th years--or 3rd?  I don't even remember.  Anyway, we went up to the "bunkhouse" to sleep.  It was quite a night.  We didn't really "hike" or sleep out, but we did get the required night of no sleep as the bunkhouse is on the edge of a cliff at the top of the mountain, and the wind howled and one of the girls got sick and threw up off the cliff in the middle of the night.  We were just grateful she didn't go off the cliff in the pitch black.  The funny thing was the girls sleeping in the wind and rain on the porch didn't even hear her! 
 This mule was our method of "hiking."  Much more enjoyable!
 The wood you can see here in the end of the porch of the bunkhouse.  I'm not exaggerating when I say it was on the edge of a cliff.
 Looking down off the porch.
The second "highlight" of the trip was the ride out.  I am pretty sure I haven't been so scared in a really long time.  All the roads out from the cabin are rough dirt roads.  It rained almost 24 hours straight before we were supposed to leave.  We even debated waiting until the next day, but the Yates decided we would "probably" make it--"probably" was really reassuring.  We had to leave the YW president's van there because there was not way it was going to make it.  The rest of the vehicles were all 4-wheel drive.  If you think snow driving is bad, you should try mud roads that are narrow and border nice huge drop-offs.  I was grateful to see the pavement, but if you take a look at this pic, I had to open the door to see anything.  Mud, mud, mud everywhere!!!

1 comments:

Yo Momma Lindsey said...

Girls camps is SO much more fun as a leader, don't you think?